Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Frequently asked questions

1. What is personal protective equipment?

Personal protective equipment (PPE) is anything used or worn by a person to minimise risk to the person’s health or safety. It includes a wide range of clothing and safety equipment. For example, boots, face masks, hard hats, ear plugs, gloves and high visibility clothing.

2. What personal protective equipment do I need?

Students will be required to purchase the following personal protective equipment prior to commencing the course:

  • safety boots (lace up)
  • Hard Yakka work trousers (navy)
  • Hard Yakka long sleeve drill shirt (blue medit for Electro-technology students and navy for Engineering students).

3. Where can I purchase my personal protective equipment?

Personal protective equipment may be purchased online from Hard Yakka or from various local retailers, including:

Protector Alsafe

160 Robinson Road, Geebung

Phone: 3867 7777

Totally Workwear

848 Gympie Road, Chermside

Phone: 3359 2060

4. Are lockers available on site?

Yes, day lockers (unlocked) are available for students to use. Students can bring their own padlock if they wish.  Students must remove all items from the lockers at the end of the day.

5. What if I can’t make a class?

If a student is absent, for whatever reason, they must inform their school on that morning. The school will inform the Trade Training Centre.

6. Can I purchase food and drinks at the Trade Training Centre?

No, students are required to bring their own food and drinks. Students have access to a well-appointed kitchen, equipped with a fridge, microwave and sandwich press.  There is also a dedicated outdoor dining area. 

7. Is there parking at the Trade Training Centre?

Students are not permitted to park on school grounds. Street parking is available along Turnbull Street (adjacent to the Trade Training Centre).

8. Can I get to the Trade Training Centre by public transport?

For public transport options, please refer to the Journey Planner on the Translink website.

9. Can I enrol in a course if I am not a student of one of the partner schools?

Yes, all students are welcome to apply for course enrolment.  Where capacity allows, students from non-partner schools will be offered placements.

10. What times are the classes?

Day classes run from 8.00 am to 2.00 pm and evening classes run from 3.30 pm – 9.10 pm.

11. Can other businesses, community groups or Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) hire out rooms at the Trade Training Centre?

Yes.  The Brisbane North West Trade Training Centre has training rooms and office space available for hire.  Please refer to our booking website for further details.

12. Where can I get tips for preparing my resume?

The following websites provide some basic information to assist you in preparing your resume:

13. I’m nearly completed my course, what do I need to do now?

Employment opportunities are published on various websites, including Seek.  You may also want to consider exploring apprenticeship options by searching group training orgnaisation websites or by visiting company websites directly. Some sites also offer a subscription service, so you can be notified of vacancies when they arise.

14. What are the Governing bodies for Electro-technology and Engineering?


  • Energy Skills Queensland
  • Electrical safety office


  • Engineers Australia
  • Board of Professional Engineers Queensland